Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Live your life like a random CD mix?

Have you ever burned a random CD mix?  No shit, of course you have.. it's the freakin 21st cenntury.  Ok let me rephrase.  Have you ever burned a random CD mix and then a few years later, popped it into your CD player and thought, "What the hell was going through my mind when I made this?"

This happens to me allllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time.  But my friend Barbie Dahl (pen name, obviously) explained my CD mix in a way that I probably never would have thought of it...

She said, after a rediculous amount of hysterical-tears-in-her-eyes type of laughing, "Hahahahahaahhaa. This mix is totally you."  What in God's name does that mean? Well I guess it's important to know what exactly was on this shitty-ass mix.  I don't remember every song in order or anything... I don't carry it in my back pocket.  I'm NOT totally obsessed with it, well I kind of am but that's besides the point.  Anywayyy, here is an idea of what we were jamming out to on the way home from my field hockey game last night:



Oldies.  We are talking ancient oldies, sorry Mom!  Run Around Sue was the first song on this bizarre playlist.  It's probably because my mom taught me how to Jitterbug when I was back in middle school and this instantly became one of my favorites to dance to.

TLC.  Come on! I was practically born to be Left Eye (rest easy woman!!) I freakin miss the shit out of her and I'm not ashamed to admit that I own TLC's Crazy Sexy Cool album.  I can rap Left Eye's part in Waterfall and I totally learned how at my many years spent racing losers around Skatetown with my awesome inline skates.  So it's not a surprise to know that Creep, No Scrubs (from a different album), and Red Light Special could be heard on this incredible but very very random CD.

Lauryn Hill. Love love love her. I'm sure you can guess which song... Killing me Softly.  Enough said.

Ace of Base. HAHAHA yes even I have to laugh at this. Don't Turn Around. Definitely one of the best jam-out-to-in-your-car songs.  It's got a pretty fantastic beat and it makes my bass go BOOM BOOM.

69 boys. Gotta love Tootsie Roll.  Mind you when this tune came on, the first words out of Barbie Dahl's mouth and mine simultaneously were, "Yeahhhh 1994!" If you know this horrible song then you would know why.  "Cotton candy sweet to go let me see that tootsie roll!"  Takes you back a few steps in time, huh?

Boys II Men.  Coolest boy band of the 90's hands down...  I'll Make Love to You.  This was the first cassette tape (yeah I said it) that I stole from my sister and the first one I had to hide from my mom because it was filled with adult content. Ah the truth comes out.  Oh yeah Carey, I still have that if you're looking for it... Sorry! Love you!



Bryan Adams.  Oh yesss bring us back to that 80's rock.  Summer of '69.  Before I knew these lyrics by absolute heart I used to say, "Jimmy quit, someone got married. Lord knows we'd never get far." Yeah, I'm always making up lyrics when I don't know what they are. 
Eric Clapton.  Tears in Heaven is still one of my ALL TIME favorite songs and generally once a month this song still brings me to tears. You know, the time of the month that most women hate everyone around them and swear a lot more and feel like a complete train wreck and blame their horrible personality and mood swings on mother nature (damn her).

So looking back at each song on this list, Barbie Dahl was right, this mix IS totally me!  You have you're oldies, skatetown music, R&B love making songs, hip hop, and 80's rock.  Wowwwww Dear Baby Jesus thank the lord my taste is music has DRASTICALLY changed.  Peace bitchessss.

No comments:

Post a Comment